Sword from the Ambras Castle
- Dated: 1580
- Culture: German
- Ambras Castle (German: Schloss Ambras) is a Renaissance castle and palace located in the hills above Innsbruck, Austria. Considered one of the most popular tourist attractions of the city, Ambras Castle was built in the sixteenth century on the spot of an earlier tenth-century castle, which became the seat of power for the Counts of Andechs. The cultural and historical importance of the castle is closely connected with Archduke Ferdinand II and served as his residence from 1563 to 1595.
- The Lower Castle contains two rooms of jousting armour from the late fifteenth century, including several suits made for Archduke Ferdinand himself. The Lower Castle’s first floor contains a valuable art collection. Above the Lower Castle is the Spanish Hall (Spanische Saal), a notable example of German Renaissance architecture, which contains an intricate wood-inlay ceiling and walls adorned with 27 full-length portraits of the rulers of Tyrol. The Upper Castle contains an extensive portrait gallery featuring paintings of numerous members of the House of Habsburg.
Photo source: © 2013 Historica Arma